.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Flog of the Prokonsul

Internet fluency, digital governance and Wikipedia propaganda. You have been warned.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Why are some of you still using IE?

Hardly a week goes by without another security flow discovered in this crap'o'ware. Now IE flaw lets intruders into Google Desktop. Now you can visit a Web page that--when viewed in IE on a computer with Google Desktop installed--uses the search tool and returns results for the query "password". And while IE is vulnerable, Firefox and Opera are not. For protection, Internet users could use one of those browsers. It has been a busy week on the Microsoft security front. Four examples of attack code were released for flaws in the Windows operating system, and a Trojan horse is finding its way onto PCs through another yet-unpatched flaw in IE.

But I guess some people will learn only the hard way. I just hope none of you, my fellow fluencly readers, belong to those people.

Meantime, in the news: the avalanche has started:

NASA ditches IE in favor of Firefox

2 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, Blogger Piotr Konieczny said...

It has been a long time (half a year?) since I stumbled upon a IE only site. I use several banks and all of them are now Mozilla friendly as well. It may be different for Korean websites, though - but I do invite you to check if by any chance they have not been fixed to be Mozilla friendly recently.

Even if they haven't, you can do as I did some time ago: I kept IE for my bank sites, and use Mozilla for 90% of my other web browsing needs.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Piotr Konieczny said...

I never realized Active-X was missing from Mozilla products (my firewall detects Active-X and ask me if I want to run it...).

In case your Mozilla is not working properly with Active-X, why not check the Mozilla ActiveX Project?

This site has a good pros and cons. Or at least I like it because it agrees with me: use Firefox for everything, and when you rarely encounter something that doesn't like it, then launch IE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home